November 11, 2009

Filling in the Gaps - Day 3

Our last day at the parks was actually Veteran's Day which meant that the parks were a lot more busy than they had been the days before. This was ok though, because we had seen most everything we wanted to see and were using our last day to fill in any gaps, ride any rides we wanted to go on again and do some shopping.

The first thing I wanted to do was get some pictures before the parks got too packed. We got the prerequisite family pictures by the Mickey made of flowers at the front of Disneyland. I wish someone would come and do this in our yard.

We got this cute picture of Wes by the Walt Disney sculpture. We tried to get Nate in there, but he wasn't having it for some reason. Chris and I find this picture especially cute. Seven years ago, Chris and I went to Disneyland to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. We were walking around taking pictures of things and there was a cute little boy standing in front of the Walt Disney statue looking like he was waiting for someone to take his picture. Chris snapped a picture of him because he was so cute. We didn't realize until we looked at these pictures later, that the picture of Wes is almost the same picture Chris snapped 7 years ago, except this time it is our own little sweet boy in the picture! Here is the picture of the little boy from 7 years ago.

This picture of Wes and Nate in front of the castle is my favorite! I really wanted to get a shot like this and I'm so glad that it turned out. This one is definitely getting framed and displayed somewhere in our house. I especially like how Wes's ears are a little crooked.

After everyone was very patient with Mommy's picture taking, we headed over to Adventure Land because we hadn't spent any time there on our first day. Daddy and Mommy wanted to go on Indiana Jones before the lines got long, so we headed straight there. Grandma and Linde took Wes and Nate into the Tiki Room. Unfortunately, Indiana Jones broke down as soon as we started to get in line and the doors to the Tiki Room had already closed so we had to wait until they were done. Grandma and Linde said that Wes and Nate really liked all the singing in the Tiki Room. Grandma had told Wes that it was going to rain because at one point in the show they make it look like it is raining and storming outside the windows even though it is a nice sunny day in Southern California. I guess Wes kept trying to hunker down on the floor underneath the chairs and Grandma and Linde couldn't figure out what his problem was until he told them that he didn't want to get wet. He thought it was going to rain inside! I guess you never know what to expect at Disneyland.

Then, it was time for the Jungle Cruise. Chris said that he has never been on the Jungle Cruise and we all just couldn't believe it. We saw all the usuals, including, the back side of water and they even added some new things, like piranhas. By the time we got off, Indiana Jones was up and running, so Daddy and Mommy hopped on really quick before the line got crazy.

Now it was time to head over to Critter Country and Splash Mountain. Splash Mountain is not one of Daddy's favorites and Wes opted out, even though he is tall enough. So, Linde and Mommy talked Grandma into going. Grandma had a lot of fun and was really glad that she went because this is one of her favorite rides.

Daddy took Wes and Nate on the Winnie the Pooh ride, which Daddy thought was a little trippy. Then, Wes and Nate got the chance to meet and get their pictures taken with Tigger and Winnie the Pooh.

We did a little shopping in New Orleans square and Wes was throwing a little tantrum while I was trying to get a picture in front of the scary sculpture. So, I gave it up and put on my best villain face. Isn't Mommy scary?

Nate fell asleep right before we were going to take Wes for a ride on the Monorail and we didn't want to have to wake him. So, Linde stayed behind with Nate while Grandma, Daddy, Mommy and Wes took a ride around the park, and almost fell asleep ourselves.


Here, Wes and Nate are getting their silhouettes done for Lou Lou and Grandma. This lady literally cut the silhouette out of a piece of paper as she was looking at the boys, and it was super fast! I was amazed. The sign said "hand-cut" silhouettes, so I assumed the quotes meant it was done digitally or something and then cut out by hand. Isn't everything done digitally these days? Nope, there are still some talented hand crafters out there and this lady is one of them...awesome!

We went back over to California Adventure so Wes could see the Playhouse Disney show one more time and so Mommy could go on the Tower of Terror one more time.

Ok, so here's is the deal with Wes and the Tower of Terror. Wes has a total love/hate relationship with this ride. The day that we went on it, he cried right after and said he never wanted to go on it again. We assured him that he wouldn't have to, he got his picture taken with Mr. Incredible and we thought that was the end of it. That night as it started to get dark, he started saying "I don't want to go on the Tower of Terror" over and over again. We assured him over and over that he didn't have to go on it, but he kept repeating it to himself under his breath. I thought for sure I had scarred him for life. Then, on our last day at the parks, when we got into California Adventure he opened up the map and told Chris that he wanted a map that didn't have the Tower of Terror on it. Being the cute, funny, creative Dad that he is, Chris tore the Tower of Terror out of Wes's map. This seemed to make him happy, but he didn't like when we got too close to the ride and would make us promise again that he didn't have to go on it. A couple hours after Chris tore the Tower out of Wes's map, Wes wanted to make sure that we still had that part of the map. He didn't want to look at it, but he didn't want it to disappear all together. Then he started talking about how he didn't want to go on it again...until he was a bigger boy. Since we've been home, Wes can't stop talking about the Tower of Terror. When people ask him about Disneyland, it is one of the first things he talks about. He can describe the ride in great detail (for a 3 year old), and he only rode it once...I swear. He has built the Tower out of Legos and drawn pictures of it. It's really funny. I think it genuinely scared the pants off him, but I think he is also proud of himself for braving it. That's my boy!

As we were heading back to the hotel that night on the bus, we were all waving goodbye to Disneyland. Wes said, "Goodbye Mickey, I love you, I can't wait to come back and see you again". It really brought a tear to my eye. Chris and I love Disneyland and have always looked forward to sharing it with our children. We had a great trip and we so lucky that Grandma, Linde, Lou Lou and Papa were all able to share such a special time with us. We can't wait to go back when Nate is 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment