It was really important to me to have Nate's room completed before he slept in his crib for the first time. We had begun working on it back in October when we moved Wes into his big boy room and Daddy and Papa painted the room while I was at work one weekend. I had spent many months searching for and gathering everything I needed. Then finally, I got the nursery completed.
We used Wes's baby furniture, with the addition of a new changing table/dresser. The one we had for Wes was sort of falling apart and they had added a new, larger option to the line. When I found out I was having a boy, I knew I wanted to get bedding I had seen in a Pottery Barn catalog. It was mostly red and blue with a surfer/beachy look. I started looking for this while I was pregnant with Nate and was bummed to find out that it had been a summer style and was no longer available now that it was winter. Luckily, I was able to find different pieces available on Ebay and Craigs List and got everything I wanted, for a lot less. There wasn't a mobile that went with the set though. So, I found one made by a different company with sail boats, that matched really well.
I found new frames for all of the baby pictures that had hung in Wes's room, and painted them to match. I also painted the N-A-T-E to hang above the crib. I made a bean bag chair to house all of the stuffed animals. It's a good place to flop on the ground and has a zipper in the bottom so the animals can be taken out to play with and put back when finished.
My favorite thing I made was Nate's lamp shade. I had searched and searched for a lamp that would go with the room and found nothing. Finally, I just got the same blue lamp base that I had gotten for Wes's room. I remembered that one of the lots of bedding I had gotten on Ebay included a duvet cover that I would never use. I used the matching fabric from the duvet cover to cover a lamp shade to match the room. I made it up as I went along and it turned out really well.
Nate's room may not have been ready for him when he came home from the hospital but I worked hard to make it special for him, with homemade touches and all.



No comments:
Post a Comment