October 18, 2009

Mommy's 1st Triathlon

I've always wanted to compete in a triathlon. The one thing that has always stopped me from doing it, was the running. I hate running, I've always hated running and I'm still not a fan of it. One night, when Nate was about 3 months old, I was watching a "Biggest Loser" episode where they were supposed to complete a 5K. This was an episode early in the season, when they hadn't lost a lot of weight yet, and one of the girls ran the whole 5K. I was very impressed and inspired, if she could do it then so could I.

I immediately started researching training regimens and found a "couch to 5K", or as I like to say "baby to 5K" program that I thought I could stick to. The program started out walking and gradually increased your running times every week, until you were running a 5K by the end of 12 weeks. I also found a sprint triathlon training program that picked up where that left off and was another 12 weeks. Next, I found a triathlon to sign up for 6 months later and I was all set. Oh wait...I guess I actually have to DO the training now.

Sticking with the training was definitely the hardest part, but I did it. I am NOT a morning person but I quickly realized that with 2 kids to take care of, the only time I would be able to train would be the mornings. While Chris did not do any of the training for me, I do have to credit him and especially thank him for my success. He pushed my butt out of bed every morning and got the boys mostly ready, while I was out running or biking or swimming. I just had to be back in time for him to go to work.

Then three days before the big day, I caught Wesley's cold and could barely breath! There was no way I was going to let that stop me though, I had worked too long and hard to miss the race. I competed in the JCC Scottsdale Fall Festival Sprint Triathlon. It was 250 yards swimming, 9.5 miles biking and 2 miles running. My goal was to finish and to run the whole run.

I did finish, and didn't die, but I didn't quite run the whole run. In addition to being sick, we had an unseasonably hot day and the temperature was in the low 100's. I knew I needed to get water at the water stations during the run and I tried drinking and running at the first station. For me, drinking+running=choking. I decided to walk and drink my water at the next two stations. So, I didn't quite run the whole thing but with good reason. My time was 1:10.

I did great in the swimming and running in my category, but not so great in the biking. I guess my $100 Target bike didn't really cut it and I'll definitely rent or borrow a better bike for my next triathlon.

Here are some of my biggest fans. I can't thank everyone enough for coming out to support me! Chris, Wes and Nate came of course and Chris was busy trying to take a ton of pictures for me and caring for our 2 boys. My mom, Linde, Adam and Jaime came out nice and early even though they are also not morning people. Lou Lou, Papa, Liz and Jack also came to cheer me on. Liz also helped make sure the day was thoroughly documented (it was almost like I had my own paparazzi) and Lou Lou helped Chris try and comfort Nate, who had a cold also and was not feeling well. Everyone braved the hot, early morning just to cheer as loud as they could for me. Thank you, it really meant a lot! I did this for myself, but it sure helped to know that you were all proud of me.

The whole time I was competing I kept thinking about how much I hated it and couldn't believe I thought this was a good idea. As soon as I was done, I was figuring out what I will change for my next one. I have to equate it to childbirth. While your in the middle of it, you can't believe you ever wanted to go through this and swear to never do it again but as soon as you have that baby in your arms you're already trying to figure out what your next will look like. So, I have the finish in my arms and I'll see you all at the Tri for the Cure in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment