December 18, 2008

Welcome Nathaniel Conrad!

We were so happy to welcome Nathaniel Conrad Dinoffria to the world and our family on December 18th at 2:07pm. He weighed in at 7 lb 5 oz and was 21 inches long, a big boy for being 3 weeks early.

It was discovered early in my pregnancy that I had placenta previa (a condition where the placenta is attached down low and blocking the baby's way out of the birth canal). I was monitored throughout my pregnancy and we hoped that the placenta would grow away from the birth canal as the baby grew so that I could have a normal delivery. Nate was due January 6th and the doctor scheduled me for a c-section on December 30th if the placenta didn't move out of the way. Three weeks before I was due, the doctor sent me for an ultrasound at a specialist to see for sure if the placenta had moved enough. The specialist determined that it had not moved enough and I would have to have the c-section. I was bummed, but wanted to have a safe delivery and I told him that I had one scheduled for December 30th. He quickly looked at the chart and asked how far along I was. I told him that I was just over 37 weeks along and he immediately told me that I had to have the c-section right away...that week! I told him my concerns about having the baby early and he said that it was ultimately my decision but that he would recommend delivering right away. After several phone calls with Chris, my OB and the specialist we decided it was best to get scheduled for the c-section as soon as possible. The doctors do not want you to go into active labor with placenta previa, it can cause life threatening bleeding for the mother and baby. The further along you get in your pregnancy the greater the chance that you will start going into labor, so they like to deliver the babies at 36 weeks and no later than 37 weeks because the baby is full term at this point. With that, we scheduled the c-section for 2 days later on Thursday, December 18th at 1pm.

I was a little freaked out because I was not as prepared as I would've liked to have been for Nate's arrival. I was so busy with Wes, moving and the holidays that I had not had time to finish Nate's room or go through and wash all of the baby clothes. I also still had one more week of work left and Christmas presents to wrap. I called work to get my shifts covered, figured I'd get the gifts wrapped somehow (or just give them out unwrapped) and set to work getting ready for my baby boy. The day before Nate was born, Wes went to Tracy's house like a normal Wednesday and Liz and Jen Woods came over to help me get some essentials ready. We put Nate's bassinet and crib together (even though he wouldn't be sleeping in the crib for a while it made me feel better to have his room a little bit together). We washed baby clothes and packed a bag for the hospital. That night, Chris, Wes and I made a run to Babies R Us to pick up last minute needs. Ready or not here he comes!


The morning of December 18th we got up and ready, took one last picture of my giant belly and took Wes to Tracy's house. We checked into the hospital at 11am, filled out a bunch of paperwork (pre-registering was on my long To Do list that never got finished), then went to the pre-op room to start getting hooked up to stuff. While I was in the bathroom changing into my hospital gown, the nurse started asking Chris a bunch of questions to get everything started. She asked our pediatrician's name, which he knew the answer to. Then she asked for my maiden name and the way she asked it, he thought she was asking the pediatrician's maiden name. Our pediatrician is an old friend of my aunt's, so he immediately started wracking his brain because he thought she had never been married and was so confused as to why he had to know the pediatrian's maiden name. Poor guy, it's not nice to ask expectant dads such confusing questions.

They asked if I was feeling any contractions and I wasn't, but when they hooked me up to the monitor it showed that I was having a bunch of regular contractions. The doctor said it was a good thing that we decided to have the c-section sooner rather than later, after all, I've now learned that I don't really feel contractions until I'm in the last stages of labor. I was pretty uncomfortable laying in the hospital bed hooked up to a bunch of machines. I definitely didn't like the sitting a waiting while being uncomfortable. Luckily, my mom and Linde got there right after we did and were able to help Chris keep me laughing. Before we knew it, I had a funny hat on and Chris had a funny outfit on and I was being wheeled away. They made Chris sit in the hall while they administered the spinal block which I wasn't super happy with but the anesthesiologist told me to sit "criss cross apple sauce" which made me laugh. Soon, Chris was in the room and they went to work. It was kind of weird to lay there and feel tugging and pulling not knowing exactly when my baby was going to enter the world. The anticipation was very exciting. Chris kept standing up to look over the drape and I was afraid he was going to pass out from seeing the blood so I kept trying to get him to sit down. He proudly proclaimed that it is only his own blood that makes him woozy and that he had now seen more of me than I had...eeewwwww! Next thing I knew, the doctors said that Nate was out, he quickly began crying and so did I. They declared him big and healthy and I was overjoyed. Chris got to hold him first (since I was strapped to the table) and brought him over for kisses and pictures. I couldn't believe my baby boy was here. I thought I would be more prepared for the joy and love the second time but it still hit me like a ton of bricks. There is something so powerful about seeing your child for the first time, I don't think you can ever be prepared. I was also surprised that he looked so much like Wes and had so much hair!



They wheeled me back to the room where my mom, Linde, Adam, Jaime, MaryLou, David and Mike where waiting to meet our perfect little boy. Mike had just flown in from California and Chris and I were very surprised and delighted to see him. The nurse kept going on and on about her dog that died because of eating sugarless gum and cornered Mike in the hall to tell him that he should write a story about it. Then Mike got to help push my hospital bed up to the 3rd floor. I think Mike got a little more than he bargined for that day.




Liz picked up Wes at Tracy's, brought him to the hospital right after Nate was born and Wes got to meet his little brother. Wes was interested in him and also interested in the toys we had packed him and all the people that were around. Everyone (except me, my mom and Linde) went to Uncle Sam's to get dinner and we just starred at Nate. Tracy, Mike, Xavier and Cassandra also came by that night to hold new baby Nate. Wes seemed to be doing really well, so we decided to let him spend the night with Grandma Dee Dee and Linde so that Chris could stay at the hospital with me and Nate. Chris switched out 3 chairs that night trying to find one that was comfortable for him but we had lots of fun doting over our new baby boy. I think there is something very magical about the first night in the hospital with a new baby. I can never keep my eyes closed very long, I have to keep checking to make sure that he is really there.

1 comment:

  1. We are looking forward to reading your blog. Keep the post coming- because we love reading about Wes and Nate!
    We love you.

    ReplyDelete