April 11, 2010

Mommy's 2nd Triathlon (Baby's 1st)

I started training for the Tri for the Cure before I found out I was pregnant. After talking with my doctor, I decided to still give it a go at 14 weeks pregnant. She said that as long as I listened to my body and didn't overdo it and there were no complications, I would be fine.

Unfortunately, I spent most of my 1st trimester with a really bad sinus infection and stomach virus and was not able to train as much as I wanted to. I started the training back up a few weeks before the event and was feeling good, so I went for it. I knew I could always just take it really easy if I needed to.

The triathlon went great! I felt really good throughout the whole thing and finished with decent results. The baby came along for the ride (and run, and swim) and I even got a little teary in the middle of the race thinking about the little passenger I had with me. What can I say...pregnancy hormones.

My overall time was 1:09:36, which was similar to the first triathlon I completed (though it's hard to compare because of slightly different distances and a different terrain). In my division out of 52 I finished 21st overall (3rd in the swim, 30th in the bike, and 21st in the run). If only I could bike and run as fast as I can swim.

I was lucky to have my biggest fans Chris, Wes, Nate, Mom and Linde cheering for me. When I came into the track to finish my run I saw them all cheering and waving. My mom was holding Nate and I waved and yelled out, "Hi Punkin!". His bottom lip got all quivery and he almost started to cry. Poor baby. He was probably wondering where I was all morning (I had to leave the house at 5am, before anyone woke up), then when he finally saw me I was running away.

Wes was SO excited that I got a medal for this triathlon (all finishers got a finishers medal). He was kind of disappointed that I only got a ribbon in the first triathlon and he doesn't really grasp the concept that I don't do the triathlons to win. To a 4 year old, winning is everything. He immediately took off with my medal and wore it for several days after. It makes me feel good that he is proud of his Mommy. I hope one day he will want to do triathlons with me.

After the race, I deserved to stuff myself. So, Chris and I headed over to one of our favorites, Chino Bandito, to get take out for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Mommy, we're very proud of you. Love Gramma

    ReplyDelete