So, Wes was not ready to be potty trained. I'm not sure if I left it up to him that he would ever be ready. He had no interest in sitting on the potty and would sit in a wet diaper all day if I let him. The cloth diapers were supposed to make it a little easier because he can feel when he is wet, but he just doesn't care. I, on the other hand, am more than ready for Wes to be potty trained. So, 3 day potty training boot camp it is. I picked 3 days to stay home all day and not leave the house. I explained to Wes that we would be spending these 3 days learning to use the potty. I told him that we would stay home and that he would not wear a diaper or any pants and he would sit on the potty every hour for 15 minutes, or until he went potty, whichever came first. If he went potty he would get Hershey's kisses, 1 for pee, 2 for poop.We started on a Monday and when Wes got up we took off his diaper and put on a t-shirt with nothing else. At nap and bedtime, he still wore a diaper, though. We spent the day playing and watching TV, I put a towel down on the couch just in case. I gave him lots of fluids to drink and took him to sit on the potty every hour for 15 minutes. He went to the potty lots of times and got lots of treats. We did this for 3 days straight and he only had 2 little accidents, both on the tile thank goodness.
After the 3rd day, he was allowed to wear his big boy underwear and we ventured out of the house. I also stopped offering Hershey's kisses if he went potty, he could have them if he asked about them, but I stopped offering. Eventually, he forgot all about the reward of a Hershey's kiss for going potty. He had a few accidents after our 3 day boot camp, but all in all, he was potty trained. My mom used the 3 day trick to potty train me and taught me how to do it. I will definitely do the same with Nate, it worked like a charm. I probably could have done it 6 months earlier, I think Wes would have been mentally ready at 2 1/2 but we were moving and having a baby brother and in the middle of the holidays. I just thought it was better not to stress him, or me, out. I'm so glad it worked, one less bottom to change!



Way to go Wes! What a big boy, we're all so proud of you. Love Gwamma
ReplyDeleteNate, already the life of the party, underware on your head, too cute. Love Gwamma
ReplyDelete