June 25, 2009

A Trip to the Farm

Our friend Jen works at a local farm, doing marketing and other odds and ends. One of the perks of her job is being able to pick out farm fresh produce for her family every week. I'd been wanting to go along with her one day to check out the farm, and to show Wes that fruits and vegetables come from the ground, not the grocery store.
We traveled all over the farm in a John Deere Gator that Wes loved. I carried Nate in the sling and we traipsed around picking all sorts of goodies. Farmer Frank was very hospitable and told us where on the farm we could pick all of the ripest stuff.
We all especially loved picking the potatoes. After the potatoes are ripened, the vine dries up and all you are left with is what looks like piles of dirt. Somehow, it just seems amazing that you can dig your hands in this pile of dirt and pull out a bunch of potatoes.
We came home with potatoes, a cucumber, a melon, tomatoes and basil. I cooked up the potatoes for dinner and made a cucumber, tomato salad with basil and Italian dressing that was very yummy. I can not even describe how awesome these tomatoes taste. I had a couple store bought tomatoes that I threw in the salad along with the farm tomatoes and the difference was night and day. The store bought tomatoes basically had zero taste in comparison. Looks like we'll be buying more produce from the Farmer's Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment